Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

My husband and I have various assets, some in joint names

Customer Question

My husband and I have various assets, some in joint names and for tax reasons some are in sole names. If my husband and I were to seperate/divorce would all the assets be bundled together and then divided or would assets in sole names remain with that party? We do not have any prenuptial in place.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 5 months ago.
Generally all assets used in the relationship or funded from joint assets and income, will become relationship property and therefore equally divided. If there is no contracting out agreement then everything will be lumped together. You would need to get advice on the details, but the only property which would be separate is that which was always separate, such as heirloom jewellery