Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

My 12 year old child's surname has been changed by deed-poll

Customer Question

My 12 year old child's surname has been changed by deed-poll from my name on the birth certificate to her new husband's name without my knowledge or consent, is this legal? and how did she do it if it was not legal?
Please, I hope you will be able to help me as I am very upset and totally confused.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 5 months ago.
The name of the child cannot be changed unless both parents actually consent to the change. If she has managed to do so, there may be a serious issue to investigate with the Department of Internal Affairs, because she may have forged your signature or otherwise misled the department. The law is very clear on this point, and there have been a number of cases where change of name has been opposed successfully by one of the parents in your situation. So your next step should be to get in touch with the Department and ask them to explain how this happened without your consent. There may be some interesting answers and it is likely that the change will be reversed if she has acted illegally