Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

I was the main applicant when I applied residency

Customer Question

Hi. I was the main applicant when I applied for my residency two years ago. My ex-husband was included in my application and we both got the residency. I separated him later because of domestic violence. I have a temporary protection order until June. Now I am eligible to apply for Permanent Residency but I don't want to support his residency any more. Is there any way to do this? He is making too many problems for me and basically doesn’t want to see me in normal life or with any new partner.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: There is an Intimidation charge for him in criminal court. But the court will be in June.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 5 months ago.
You can contact Immigration when you file your application for permanent residency and tell them you have separated, that he is the subject of court proceedings for domestic violence, and that he may be unsuitable for residency because of these events and bad character
You have no obligation to support his application and you can't be made to do so