Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Pearl JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I live in Queensland Australia I am seeking a divorce from my ex wife in NZ . All property matters have been settled . We were legally separated in June 1994 . My ex wife drew up papers through her lawyer in about 2004. However they were not actioned . Can you assist .
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: I am not sure but maybe the divorce papers were registered with the Hastings court in NZ . My ex wife has given all her details , so I can get the ball rolling . However I do not have her lawyers name or details .
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 7 months ago.
Getting your marriage dissolved is relatively easy and most people do it themselves. There are two ways of making the application to the family Court, the first being a joint application which you and your ex-wife will both sign, or a single application which you can file and then get served on your wife. The fastest process is a joint application. Once you sign all the papers, you file them with the family Court. You do not have to go to court because the application is decided on the papers. If you do a joint application the whole procedure can take 4 to 6 weeks from filing. If your wife is cooperating I suggest you use this and look at this link below, where you can get a set of the papers. Most people do not use a lawyer to file the application and there is a filing fee which is $211.50.You will need to get a copy of your marriage certificate, and any separation agreement. These are attached to the application.Forms for joint application- http://www.justice.govt.nz/family-justice/about-us/documents/forms/pdf/moj0584-joint-dissolution.pdfForms for single application http://www.justice.govt.nz/family-justice/about-us/documents/forms/pdf/moj0583-one-party-dissolution.pdf