Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Chris My role has been disestablished, and I have chosen to not accept the other posit

Customer Question

Hi Chris
My role has been disestablished, and I have chosen to not accept the other positions work has offered for various reasons. We have agreed therefore that my redundancy is confirmed and as my employment contract says I must give 12 weeks notice, the company is confirming that my employment will terminate on that date or no earlier. Obviously they are required to give me that length of time. My question is what if I don't want to work that notice period out? My role is confirmed as being disestablished and I understand the need to find a replacement, but having to stay for that period of time in an environment that is not enjoyable will do me no good. In saying that Im trying to be fair and both parties want to act in good faith. What would happen if I said I would only give 4 or 8 weeks notice? What am I contractually bound to given my role is now confirmed as being disestablished.
many thanks Lawrence
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 7 months ago.
You can ask if you can be paid out rather than work the notice, and that often happens. If you have found another job, then you could tell them, and ask to be released. But if you just leave, there is not much they can do, although it does sometimes cause some bad feelings. You will likely find however that they will be happy for you to negotiate an early exir