Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I need to find out if a neighbour who we have been told is

Customer Question

I need to find out if a neighbour who we have been told is a sociopath has a criminal record - we have been experiencing the most incredible invasion of privacy, verbal abuse and intimidation from he and his wife. Friends have advised of an incident in which he drove his Range Rover at speed in through the front entrance of a factory owned by a man he was having a dispute with. I am afraid he will cary out a similar act with our property which has currently been limited to pulling the palings off his fence that is on our boundary and throwing dead rabbits into our property. We have kept daily notes regarding each event and have informed the police who have our records and photos of what he has been doing but I an afraid of what he may do next especially when my wife is there alone.
I have been trying to ascertain if he has a police record but find it impossible to get information even though it is relevant to what he might do next.
Your advice would be appreciated.
Thank you *****
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 7 months ago.
It isn't possible to find out someone's criminal record because only the police can access this. The only way to look at such records is by consent, which I am sure he will refuse. If you discuss your concerns with the police, they may check his record, but will not be able to show it to you. But you are on the right track by keeping a record of his behaviour, as if anything happens, the records will be useful.