Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

3rd drink drive offence JA: The Lawyer will need to help

Customer Question

3rd drink drive offence
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best.
Customer: I had a party at my place the previous day which ended late and then the next day I had 1 and a half bottle off beer and when I got pulled over my Eba was918
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I am sure the drinks from previous night could be a factor for this high eba
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately it does take time for the alcohol to get through your system so that reading would be added to by the extra beers you had. This will be a serious issue and you are likely to lose your licence indefinitely, if the previous offences were within the last five years. In addition the judge will likely want an assessment of whether you have an alcohol problem, and ask for this. You may get community work, or possibly a substantial fine, and you may, if the previous offences are recent, possibly have the car confiscated