Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Does an employer have to provide a pay slip. I have been on

Customer Question

Does an employer have to provide a pay slip. I have been on sick leave and working in between from home as approved by the employer. I then took 2 weeks off and requested that it come form the holiday pay i was owed.
I was paid $138.96 in the bank with no pay slip (should be $694)last pay day and have not been paid this week. I have now returned to work. My employer will not discuss this with me or answer my emails, he keeps telling me we will discuss it at a later date or time.
Your advice please.
thanks
Linda
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 7 months ago.
Your employer cannot deduct money from your wages without your consent under the Wages Protection Act, and he must provide proper records of the wages, and any sick and holiday pay taken. Under section 130 of the Employment Relations Act he is obliged to provide details"Every employer must, upon request by an employee or by a person authorised under section 236 to represent an employee, provide that employee or person immediately with access to or a copy of or an extract from any part or all of the wages and time record relating to the employment of the employee by the employer at any time in the preceding 6 years at which the employer was obliged to keep such a record."This means he must show the details of the pay.You can tell him that he must sort this out or the next step is to get a Labour Inspector to check his records and that you will claim the arrears and a personal grievance for the wrongful deduction.