Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

I feel employer no longer trusts, has faith or confidence in

Customer Question

I feel employer no longer trusts, has faith or confidence in me and our team as the CEO is witholding vital information from me/ us. Eg: i found out from an industry associate that my salesmanager was demoted two weeks ago....we just had a two day sales meeting and and were not informed of this. No longer wish to be a part of a set up like this. Is handing in notice (4 weeks) on basis i obviously cant trust my senior management a reason they could in fact dismiss me without notice or entitlements? I would not be happy staying out the four weeks really. Your advice?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 6 months ago.
If you give notice then they have to pay you for the notice period, and any holiday pay. They can ask you to leave before the notice is up, but still must pay you for the notice period, as otherwise this would be an unfair dismissal, and you could claim wages and compensation in an employment case. So you can give notice but they cannot use this as a reason to withhold your pay and entitlements, and if they do, you have a remedy