Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Good afternoom, how do I go about being in a de facto relationship

Customer Question

Good afternoom,
how do I go about being in a de facto relationship for about 3 1/2 yrs to protect my assets should we split. My partner is happy to sign a form not claiming anything from me . Who do I see - can a citizen advice bureau deal with this or do I have to book a lawyer please.
Thank you and kind regards ***** *****
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 6 months ago.
It is a good idea to have a property agreement so both of you know where you are in r Latino to your property. Under the Property Relationships Act you can enter an agreement which sets out who owns the property and what happens if you split. Property you acquire jointly should also be included. To make this a valid and binding agreement, you need a document certified by your own lawyers. This is a requirement of the Act because otherwise it is not binding. So you should consult with your lawyer, a property or family lawyer, and they will refer your partner to another independent lawyer to witness and certify after you have negotiated and agreed the terms