Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am manufacturer that approached a food broker. They said

Customer Question

I am manufacturer that approached a food broker. They said they wanted to take my products and that they would charge between 8 % and 10%. When work has started they have sent me a contract to sign where I have to pay a fix fee no matter their sales.
I have not signed it and he is supposed to call me to make a meeting and discuss.
Their work has been awful during the first month of work, and there are not any clause that gurantees my companies wellness.
I want to brake this not signed contract, but want to know my consequences.
Best
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.
If you don't yet have a written contract and the terms are uncertain then you have an oral contract. This means that the contract is based on the discussions between you. So if they have not performed their end of the verbal agreement you can tell them you want to cancel the contract for those breaches.
They may not agree about this but without the written contract it will be difficult to argue what they have lost.