Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.

Enduring power of attorney forms - what is the best site to

Customer Question

enduring power of attorney forms -
what is the best site to access these from, and
is it necessary to have a solicitor witness these
thank you
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 7 months ago.
The forms can be obtained from the Auckland District Law Society, but it is essential and a requirement of the PRotection of Personal and Property Rights Act, that each party to the power of attorney is advised by a lawyer and their signatures witnessed by a lawyer. It's probably easier to get the lawyer to draft the form and arrange signature
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was somewhat disappointed with this reply. What I wanted to do was to check that the power of attorney form I am using is the most up to date one -and I did not want to pay the ALDS $92 to do this.
I am well aware of the need to involve a lawyer (I have worked in a legal office for 35 years)
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 6 months ago.

The best way to check this is to look at the forms which the ADLS sell, as they only sell the latest editions. I should have stated this expressly, but I cannot assume that people who use this site have any knowledge of the formalities. So by suggesting this site, where non lawyers can buy the form, you can check your forms. There have been some changes, most recently being the need for each party to have indeoendent advice, which was not originally the case. However the older forms remain valid by savings provisions in the act