Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I need to draw up a power of attorney fiancé who lives in

Customer Question

Hi there, I need to draw up a power of attorney for my fiancé who lives in Portugal to authorise him to arrange our marriage there. We have all the other documents in place already but due to unforseen circumstances, when I was there a month ago we aren't able to complete the marriage. Now I need an authentic power of attorney document (which has to them go to the Portuguese embassy here in NZ to be stamped) so that he can complete the process over there without me present. Is there a register of lawyers or a certain type that can help me complete this? Cheers!
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.
A power of attorney drawn up under New Zealand law would be relatively easy to draft and get apostilled, which is the process for getting this approved for use overseas. Are you sure a New Zealand power of attorney is what is needed though? Normally you would get such a document drawn up in the country where it is to be used, and then signed here in front of a notary public.
If you have a property lawyer here they will now how to draft a standard power of attorney, but generally that is only for use on New Zealand. Portuguese law may have different requirements.