Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

How do you find out if there is an arrest wararnt against

Customer Question

How do you find out if there is an arrest wararnt against you
JA: I'm here.
Customer: Hi Pearl, I was arrested last March 2015 when leaving the country. This was for work and income outstanding warrant. The case was dismissed, but after being arrested once at airport I'm worried they may stop me again when I return. I was just wiondering if there is a web site that I could check on my status. Of course I was set free and as the judge said, "your free to go" but just concerned.
JA: The Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: cheers
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I had an arrest warrant issued from work and income for misrepresentation. I was arrested while leaving NZ, but then when I went to court, no one from work and income showed up. I owed $13,000 but showed the judge I had paid $6,000 over the previous two years, so he said your free to go but keep payments up. I have been in contact with work and iomnce and have made payment schedule with them. I think I am just being paranoid as I am travelling to NZ in four weeks with clients and worried there may still be some unprocessed paperwork, so hist wanted to know if there is still anything outstanding
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

There is no public website for you can check whether there is an outstanding warrant for your arrest. The problem is that such a website would breach confidentiality and privacy, and so you would need to contact the police if you want to be completely sure. I think from your description it is very unlikely that you have an outstanding warrant, but I do know that very occasionally there are mistakes and can understand why you want to be completely careful.

You can also contact the Police and ask them to check if there is a warrant outstanding. They may require you to identify yourself, but that can be done by sending your photo ID

Police National Headquarters

***** Wellington, PO Box 3017

Ph:(04)(###) ###-####br />Fax:(04)(###) ###-####/p>

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Cheers mate

Another way to check would be to ask for your criminal record from the Ministry of Justice, which would also show any warrants.

From their website

How to get a copy of your criminal conviction history

We can’t give you your criminal record (‘criminal conviction history’) information over the phone as we need your signed agreement before we can access your information.

You must complete the Request your own criminal conviction history form (PDF, 255KB) and send it to us.

How to complete this form

Read all the instructions in the guide sections of the form.

Fill in and check your form carefully before you send it to us to avoid delays when your application is processed.

You can either complete the form electronically (typing in the information) but you will still need to print and sign it or you can complete the form by hand after printing it out.

1. Completing your form electronically

• you can fill in the form electronically (typing in the information)
  • after completing the form electronically, you will need to print it and sign it
  • we cannot accept forms with electronic signatures
  • you can scan (using any of these file formats pdf, jpg, tif, docx or png) and send the form to us by post or by emailing*****@******.***.
  • if you email your request, only include your name (first name and surname) in the email subject line.

2. Completing your form in writing

• print the request form
  • complete the form using a black or blue ballpoint pen
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ill just call the police first and see whats required. Cheers

i think you should be OK