Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My grandson was born in Australia, but my daughter and her

Customer Question

My grandson was born in Australia, but my daughter and her partner were never married.
He was brought up by his mother ,from the age of 18months in New Zealand, and would like to change his name to his mothers maiden name.
How much would it cost and who do we see about the change?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.
Is he over the age of 18?
Do you know if his birth was registered in New Zealand?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Devon is now 20. His birth was not registered in New Zealand.
If he lives in New Zealand there is a fairly easy process to change his name and here is the link to do so. If you are 18 years or over, or you are or have been married, in a civil union or de facto relationship, you may apply to change your own name by completing a Name Change by Statutory Declaration (BDM 120) application form. When you sign the statutory declaration you will need to show your original photo identification document to the person authorised to take a statutory declaration.Together with the form you must send:If your birth is registered in New Zealand
The required document(s); and
The fee of NZ$127.70.
Complete a Request for New Zealand Birth Certificate (BDM 93B) form and provide an additional fee of NZ$26.50 or NZ$39.80 for a package (1 pictorial and 1 standard certificate for the same person) if you require a new birth certificate.
If your birth is registered outside New Zealand
The required document(s); and
The fee of NZ$127.70.
Complete a Request for New Zealand Name Change Certificate (BDM 93N) form and provide an additional fee of NZ$26.50 if you require a new name change certificate.
If you are married or in a civil union, you may have your change of name recorded on that registration. Please complete all questions in the ' If your marriage or civil union is registered in New Zealand ' section of the form. There is an additional charge of NZ$46.00 for this service. This can only be done if the marriage or civil union took place in New Zealand.
https://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Births-Deaths-and-Marriages-Changing-a-Name?OpenDocument#seven