Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have owned my house that I am in now before I got married.

Customer Question

Hi. I have owned my house that I am in now before I got married. My wife has left me with our 3 kids this week. My wife's name is ***** ***** the house title or on any of my bank accounts. We have been married for 3 years. She has been a stay at home mum for the entire time and I have been working full time for the entire time. Is she still legally able to get half of everything I own or is there a loop hole somewhere where she won't be able to?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.
The Property Relationships Act says that once you have been together for more than three years then all relationship property must be divided equally. The only way to avoid this is where there has been very serious misconduct by the other party such as gambling, serious drug or alcohol abuse or similar bad behaviour. Just leaving with the children is not enough, and it is hard to avoid equal sharing. It is too late now, but some use contracting out agreements to avoid this situation.