Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I had a domestic dispute with an ex partner 20 years ago

Customer Question

I had a domestic dispute with an ex partner 20 years ago which resulted in a conviction (he and I had a child) and I found out he had an affair, confronted him physically and he called the police which resulted in me getting a conviction . It;s been covered under the clean slate bill but now that the vunerable children;s act is in force I have to undergo police vetting under this scheme. My understanding is that I won't
be affected that any prior convictions are related to the vunerable i.e. children, elderly or mentally impaired e.g. not general domestic. The police vetting team have been very vague and the ministry of justice told me the police release anything and everything. Leaves me in a very vunerable position i.e.: work requires the form to be completed under regulation and then the police state well you signed a consent and that we cannot tell you anything and it's for your employer to decide if there is anything released. What should I do?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

The Vulnerable Children's Act is concerned with what are called specified offences. If you were convicted of just common assault this is not one of those in the schedule and therefore you are not affected. The effect of this plus the clean slate legislation should mean this should not be disclosed but the act is new and I agree there are risks, if this is not handled correctly by the police. My reading of the acts together is that since common assault is not a specified offence your conviction should be concealed. So I suggest you specifically ask the police if they agree.