Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I got 90days notice without a reason, please help

Customer Question

Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
more information
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
am I being asked to leave becauce my rent is$265 per week,and can they only increase it to a certain amount,but find it is still not enough because of the increase and also as a 10yr tenant who lives in a flat which has a 2bedroom,patio and the view of rangitoto island that they have to ask me to leave because of this reason,please help
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
please call me,i can explain better when talking to someone
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
why are you taking so long?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

There is no obligation to give reasons for giving a 90 day notice period. You may have suspicions as to why, but under the Residential Tenancies Act, the landlord can give you notice without justifying this. It is tough when you have been there so long, but it is legal. If they want to increase the rent they can do so, but you can challenge any unreasonable increase in the Tenancy Tribunal. Please let me know if you want a phone call to discuss this. I suspect you think they are giving you notice so they can rent to someone else at a higher rental. It would be hard to prove this however, and as I mention, they don't need to give reasons.