How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22700
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently asked about an issue I had retrieving payment in

Customer Question

I recently asked about an issue I had retrieving payment for items in NZ. I live in australia. I want to speak with a lawyer in NZ please.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You can bring a claim in the Disputes Tribunal but there is a limitation period under the Limitation Act, of 6 years fro making claims about return of property. Looking at this letter, it does look like more than 6 years ago that you lent these items. You could try to recover this in the Tribunal and you can file a claim online from Australia. But he defends the claim, and says it is too late you may have a problem. You can still try, and he may answer if you file a claim, but just be aware of the limitation period.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would need to be there. For a small it's not worth it. And I can't have legal representation in there on my behalf. Why didn't you say that. I've already explained I live in Australia. Dip stick. I have tried to make arrangements for a telephone link up. If you can't give the bigger picture of what was entailed with the Dispute Tribunal. Shut up. Your answer was not suffice without the explanation of what would be expected
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
In this process we can discuss what you need, and have a conversation about this. I think you may have a problem with the limitation period of 6 years. If you confirm this was over 6 years ago then unfortunately you cannot file a claim. If it was less than 6 years then I can help you with the claim. You can arrange to have the hearing by teleconference so you won't need to travel back. So with this information please let me know your further questions

Related New Zealand Law Questions