Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My siblings applied to have their minor children added as

Customer Question

My siblings applied to have their minor children added as beneficiaries to our Mothers will, though they were not included or named in the will. They had legal representation of which I have been advised will come out of the estate before distribution of funds. What grounds do I have to be excluded from this payment cost?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

You can oppose any claim by the children, and you can oppose any payment of costs from the estate. If this has been filed in court you can file opposition papers to say you do not agree with the costs being paid out of the estate, and that you don't want your share affected. It's not automatic that this will happen, although it is common to ask for costs to be paid when a claim is made against the estate.