Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Recently I made a complaint to the Lower Hutt Valley council

Customer Question

Recently I made a complaint to the Lower Hutt Valley council about a friend of mine, who is living in an unhealthy situation in her own home. It was a complaint about 3 dogs and cat who live in this small one bedroom house which is dirty, with dog hair lying around, piled up clothes and un-used old items blocking up ailses you can hardly move through. The dogs and cat are fed inside, with the cat fed near to kitchen bench. Outside there is a small back yard which has been 'let go' with old rubbish bags buried and dog faeces lying around. Flies are abundant. The dogs are rarely walked. Jen has physcoligical problems and I thought by reporting this, some help would be offered.
Two representatives from the council have visited her house, but she wouldn't let them in. She(Jen), has seen a woman in mental health support area, and now they are looking at legal action as to where this information came from. The council have sent a copy of my complaint to the mental health woman.
My question to you is do I need to seek a lawyer to defend myself and my identity? Can it be proved that I was the person, who made the complaint?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

There is a privacy issue here. The council cannot release your details without your consent. If they do so, then you can complain to the Privacy Commissioner, and if this causes serious problems then you could get some compensation. If they have already disclosed your identity then you should complain the council and say that you are concerned now about your safety and that disclosing your identity is a breach of privacy