Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Couple split...relationship property and personal private

Customer Question

Couple split...relationship property and personal private property to be divided
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

What details would you like? if you have been together for more than three years then the relationship property is divided equally. This includes the home, cars, household effects and investments like KiwiSaver. Businesses are sometimes but not always divided depending on the involvement

So please let me know what details you need

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He bought with his KiwiSaver his grandparents house. They gifted left in $30,000 for him at the time as the house was $330,000 and he was only allowed upto $300,000 with KiwiSaver. He lived in below one bedroom flat with girlfriend for 8 mths and we his parents lived upstairs. We paid his mortgage being our rent so he lived there for nothing. We paid all rates and power and lawn maintenance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They both moved to Australia and got engaged a year after being there. Since then they have been married coming up 3 yrs. all this time house has been tenanted which I have handled for him, we have topped up mortgage when house has had no tenants in or when rent has been shortened by tenants, we have paid the rates, and all repairs and lawn maintenance. The wife has not ever had any thing to do with the house in his name. Where does he stand here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She now only is interested because they have separated and wants half.

I think I just answered this, did you ask twice?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry

No problem, I think there are answers on both which I hope you find useful