How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22475
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson is 14 months and has lived with me from birth. I

Customer Question

My grandson is 14 months and has lived with me from birth. I delivered him at home. I have more or less been the day to day carer since then. Both parents have been gone from my home for over a month and left the day to day care of my grandson with me. What are the child abandonment laws? can I get day to day care of him under the abandonment law without going to court
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately you do need a formal guardianship agreement. You don't need to go to court for this, but you do need the parents to sign this. It's not a complicated document, but you will need a lawyer to draw this up. If the parents won't sign, then you may need to make a court application however. If you don't have a lawyer I can suggest some names if you advise your city

Related New Zealand Law Questions