Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My grandson is 14 months and has lived with me from birth. I

Customer Question

My grandson is 14 months and has lived with me from birth. I delivered him at home. I have more or less been the day to day carer since then. Both parents have been gone from my home for over a month and left the day to day care of my grandson with me. What are the child abandonment laws? can I get day to day care of him under the abandonment law without going to court
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately you do need a formal guardianship agreement. You don't need to go to court for this, but you do need the parents to sign this. It's not a complicated document, but you will need a lawyer to draw this up. If the parents won't sign, then you may need to make a court application however. If you don't have a lawyer I can suggest some names if you advise your city