Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

MY ISSUE IS I THINK I HAVE BEEN TOLD THE WRONG INFORMATION

Customer Question

HELLO. MY ISSUE IS I THINK I HAVE BEEN TOLD THE WRONG INFORMATION FROM A DOCTOR
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have broken my right ankle in three places in April 2015 and during this time i have been getting Physio on it. I have been for regular check ups and x rays and have been told that everything is fine. I keeped on telling ACC that i was in pain and that my ankle is swelling up all the time. But as my surgeon said this can happen for the next 12 months. I was in that much pain i stopped physio and told my acc manger and my doctor that i want a second option. I have now been in pain for 10 months and go and get a second option. First of all i now go for xrays again and then off to another surgeon. He tells me that i need to get the metal plates taken out and that i have loose body parts in my foot and that is the cause of all the pain. I have put up with this for 10 months and now need another operation witch is going to be another 8 weeks off work. I have not worked since April last year and am self employed and have lost all my clients and now my 2 workers are leaving as well. Only IF SOMEONE at ACC would listen to me when i said i was in pain all the time this matter would now be sorted and i would now be looking to build my company up again. Do i have a case here or not.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

The first issue would be to complain to the Health and Disability Commissioner about the failures in medical treatment. This can be done online at http://www.hdc.org.nz/ . This will enable you to get the treatment reviewed but will not result in compensation. You can also complain to ACC about the failure to listen, but unfortunately it is not possible to sue for damages to compensate you, as ACC is meant to cover all of this.