Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My name is ***** *****. I was giving driving lessons to a

Customer Question

my name is ***** *****. I was giving driving lessons to a friend, she had many before with other people, we went to Foxton Beach, then down to Levin, upon returning to Foxton she said she would like to do a little bit more, so we headed towards Shannon, unfortunately on the way there after just coming out of a mild right hand bend on to a long straight, she let the car travel slightly to the left, before I had time to grab the wheel, left front tyre touched the grass, and it was all over, car hit culvert or drain, car rolled a cuple of times and ended up on its side, Evangeline was fine, not injured at all, me on the other hand was off work for a month. Any costs incured relating to the accident have been paid, i:e farmers fence. no one else was involved. Now she is told to goto court to answer a D502 charge. What normally is the outcome for this sort of charge, Do I have to attend to the Court as well ????
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what sort of details
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

The summons will likely be for careless driving. If this is the charge on the court papers then this is likely to be a fine and court costs. In some cases if this is a first offence you can ask for diversion which will leave her record clean. She should ask the police if they will look at this before pleading to the charge. It is however possible that she may be charged with careless driving causing injury. This is more serious and she would be fined more, and also be prevented from driving/ or trying to get a licence for 6 months. The fine will depend on what she can pay.