Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am a horse rider from India and I am working in new

Customer Question

I am a horse rider from India and I am working in new Zealand from last 23 months and I would like to apply for permanent residence of new Zealand.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

So there are a number of options

Work to Residence

• Work to Residence - for people who meet one of the following criteria:
    • are qualified in occupations that are in demand in New Zealand
    • have a job offer from an accredited employer, or
    • have exceptional talent in sports or the arts.

A Work to Residence visa is a temporary work visa that allows you to apply for a Residence from Work residence visa later. The advantage of Residence from Work is that you do not need to send us an expression of interest before applying for residence.

Are you joining your partner in New Zealand?

Our Family Stream is for people who want to work temporarily while joining their partner here. See the requirements.

Applying for a Permanent Resident visa

Resident visas granted under Skilled Migrant Category and most visas* granted under Residence from Work will allow you to travel outside New Zealand in the first two years of your residence. After this time you will need to apply for a Permanent Resident Visa. A Permanent Resident Visa allows unrestricted travel. This means that you can travel outside New Zealand with no limit on time spent out of New Zealand, and return as a resident.

*In some cases, a Work to Resident applicant may be granted a Permanent Resident Visastraight away through their residence application (if they work for an accredited employer and earn over NZ$90,000 per year).

If one of these applies to your situation you can apply.