Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Wonder if I could wait from New Zealand to answer this one

Customer Question

HI Wonder if I could wait for lawyer Chris from New Zealand to answer this one ... it's on going since last year.I now have this email - from Deborah'I would like to put this all behind me and move forward. I would appreciate payment of my full invoice for the work i did do on the website situation and i also had to pay very high phone internet bills ( 325.00 +) upon departure of parliament street. I also paid about $180 aprox in water bills as that had not been paid in a while.
Happy to get all the invoices together or we could just move forward and be done with it.In light of the amount of work i did for you it would be fair to pay the final invoice sent the $4000,00 if you can i am happy to make it full and final settlement.
Please can you reply asap as I really want to settle this now.Much appreciated.'Last contact was early Dec when I offered to pay the last invoice ... can't find the email at the mo ... the amount of the last invoice I could dispute because she invoice and paid herself $12,000.00 over the last 2 weeks and that last invoice only covers 2 days, I had given her access to the bank account. Her previous invoices were approx $2000 per week...I addition she owes me about $900.00 as she stopped paying her part of the rent, I paid approx $160 internet and $400 cleaning charges to clear the flat (I have the reciepts). My company is so far non- earning and has hardly any money left in the account, I now wish to pay as little as possible and over the longest time possible.Would value your advice please Leanne :-)
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thanks for the return visit

It seems reality is setting in. But it may not be close enough for a settlement for you. It will need to be a balance between what you think you owe, (if that is anythig) and what it will take to make the problem go away. Sometimes it is worth paying somethinmg to make the problem go away, but I suspect this offer is not at that point yet

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks...should I tell her I'm waiting for her solicitors contact ... as it was left in Dec ... ?

The previous threats appear to have been bluffing if you havent heard, so perhaps the response should be more balnd. You could outline your own expenses, and why you think the previous bills were so excessive but indicate you would settle on a reasonable sum and invite het to respond with a lower and better offer