Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

What kind of information is in a police report? I had two

Customer Question

What kind of information is in a police report? I had two drink driving charges which resulted in fines and loss of licence. I have since had my licence back for two years. Will these be in the report
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

There s a criminal record held by the court which sets out the convictions and the penalties imposed. If the police prepare a report it will contain the criminal record, with the same information. So it will have the loss of licence and the penalties

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to tell me what kind of things are in a police report?

There is a process of police vetting which is used for educational institutions mainly. Police vetting is only available to approved agencies, not for individual or personal use. The NZ Police Vetting Service provides criminal history checks and other relevant information on potential and current employees or volunteers to Approved Agencies that provide care to children, older people and vulnerable members of society in New Zealand. The Vetting Service also provides criminal history checks for overseas visas and work permits.

This means as well as the actual criminal convictions and sentences, it may show diversions, where there is no conviction, or police warnings, which are sometimes used for minor offending and where there is no charge laid in court