Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My name is siti
, issue regarding new zealand

Customer Question

hello my name is siti
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: issue regarding new zealand citizenship
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hello, I want to ask in regards ***** ***** Zealand citizenship
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 10 months ago.

I can help with this. The basic criteria is you have to be a permanent resident for 5 years and have a clean criminal record. What details do you need?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have permanent residence and clean criminal record BUT not enough days spent in NZ

It is very difficult to avoid this requirement.

Reduction of presence requirement

Legal Requirement

Section 8(7)

The Minister may grant citizenship to applicants who do not meet the ‘presence’ requirement for the grant of citizenship provided the applicant:

1. a) was present in New Zealand for at least 450 days in the 20 months immediately before the application for citizenship was lodged; and

2. b) was entitled, in terms of the Immigration Act 2009, to be in New Zealand indefinitely during each of those 450 days.

In order to grant citizenship under this section the Minister must be satisfied that there are exceptional circumstances particular to the applicant that mean the Minister believes the applicant should be granted citizenship.

Policy

An applicant cannot clearly fulfil this requirement and be placed on a schedule. All applications considered under this section must be presented to the Minister as a submission. To be considered under this section the applicant must have been in New Zealand for at least 450 days in the 20 months immediately before the application for citizenship was lodged and have held New Zealand residence through Immigration New Zealand for that whole period.

The Minister may grant citizenship to applicants in this situation if satisfied that there are exceptional circumstances particular to the applicant that mean the Minister believes the applicant should be granted citizenship.

Assessment is required on a case by case basis. Exceptional circumstances arise when the situation is well outside the normal run of circumstances found in citizenship grant cases generally. The circumstances do not have to be unique or very rare, but they do have to be truly an exception rather than the rule, or they would need to be out of the ordinary and comparatively rare.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
chances to get citizenship is very slim for me

Yes, it would be hard. If you commit to living here for longer periods, then you could apply, and once you are a citizen, there is no restriction on how long you stay here or overseas