Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am owed just over a $1000 from **** in holiday pay, they

Customer Question

Hi, I am owed just over a $1000 from **** in holiday pay, they will not pay it to me as they say I did not give 2 weeks notice, the only reason I didn't give 2 weeks notice is that I was contracted to 40 hrs a week & they only had 24 hrs for me, I was also Contracted employed as a Carpenter which for the first 5 or so weeks was right but the following 5 weeks was doing all different types of work & very little Carpentry, are they right in not paying me this money?
Thanks Jamie
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 10 months ago.

They cannot withhold your holiday pay like this and it is illegal. They must pay out or you can ask a Labour Inspector from the Department of Labour to collect this from them, and possibly prosecute for the failure to pay. The contact for them, a free service to you, is the Contact Centre on 0800 20 90 20 during business hours. Business hours are 8.30am - 5.00pm Monday to Thursday, 9.00am - 5.00pm Friday excluding public holidays. If calling from overseas call +64 9(###) ###-####/a>.