Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My daughter Destiny is 26 a solo mum of a 4 yr old daughter.

Customer Question

Hi, my daughter Destiny is 26 a solo mum of a 4 yr old daughter. She and her partner have been sepatated for 3 yrs. She has been primary carer in that time her ex having alternate wknds. Within those two years the ex has been tryin to interfere in the way Destiny raises her daughter..Borderin on controling...Hes threatened not to take their daughter back to Destiny on occassions.. Well, today is Monday he hasnt returned the daughter home to her Mum.
What can Destiny do legally? They were not married, he is not on the birth certificate and has never paid child support.. Please help,
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 10 months ago.

She can go get the child and if he refuses then she can make an urgent application to the Family Court. At present he has no rights if he isn't on the birth certificate and cannot insist on contact. She can try the police but they are usually reluctant to get involved. Here, without any legal standing as the father she can claim he has kidnapped the child, but I suspect the police will tell her to find s family lawyer. Will she need some names for this?