Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have a new web site that I am launching very soon. The web

Customer Question

I have a new web site that I am launching very soon.
The web site will allow property owners to advertise their property or properties online for people to rent out for set period of time. It could be their driveway to park their caravan on, or garage to store their antique car. etc.
I need a disclaimer that the property owner agrees to that will stop my company from being sued if there is any damage to their property for example. Another words list your property at your own risk.
I possibly also need a similar disclaimer for people renting the property. Something like enter into the contract at your own risk. Our company cannot be held responsible for the agreement between you the renter and the other party the property owner.
As the website is a global site, the disclaimers need to work all around the world.
Who do I contact regarding these, and what would the cost be?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 10 months ago.

A New Zealand lawyer could draft a suitable disclaimer for use here, although it would be difficult to draft a clause which met global requirements. The best approach is to use plain language which makes it clear your site is there to post advertising and that you take no responsibility for the parties and any contract they enter as a result of the introduction on the website. In practical terms the risk of being sued in New Zealand from overseas would be very small, because of the cost of suing across borders. So the simple statement should be enough here

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi,I need this done, so can you please quote on the disclaimers I require.This would be a pretty standard disclaimer, so should not cost an arm and a leg should it?RegardsShane

I have quoted