Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am tentatively looking at applying through the family

Customer Question

Good morning. I am tentatively looking at applying through the family courts for processing the division of our relationship property. I am not in the financial position of a prolonged engagement of a family lawyer. What would the advise be please? Sorry, to add to this, the other party has engaged a lawyer, I am being pressured to provide my own lawyer to respond. thank you
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 10 months ago.

If you are not working you would qualify for legal aid, although the fees would be deducted from the property division proceeds, and vitally repaid. If you are working then you likely won't qualify however. An alternative is to have a fee arrangement with your lawyer to get paid from any property proceeds, and some family lawyers will act on this basis.