How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22560
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have had a quote done Splash back to be be put into our

Customer Question

Hi, We have had a quote done for a Splash back to be be put into our kitchen. They said it would take 2 weeks, and this was fine as we needed it done in 3 weeks. 3 weeks later we called to see what was happening and they said that the template had been lost and this caused a delay, they said if we wanted it done in time they would have to do it in 3 pieces instead of the two. We agreed as long as it would be done within the next day or two. Over a week past and and it was finally finished. My partner was angry that it wasn't completed on time and also that it was done in 3 parts and no discount, they have also been extremely rude and have made two visits to our house being rather intimidating. We were quoted for two pieces and this is the invoice they keep sending us to pay, are we still obliged to complete this sale? We made no paper agreements or deposits prior everything has been organised over the phone.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

If time was important in this contract, and they have delayed beyond the time specified, you can cancel the contract. However if you have accepted delivery, then you should to pay something, but if the day has caused inconvenience and extra time to chase them up then you can ask for a discount. I would suggest you make them an offer of what you think reflects their delay costs to you, and tell them you will pay that, but if they insist they will need to claim in the Disputes Tribunal, where you will defend this on the basis of the delay, and where you are likely to get a discount

Related New Zealand Law Questions