Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I wish to know what the legal requirements and relevant laws

Customer Question

I wish to know what the legal requirements and relevant laws are governing Primary care medical professional referral to medical specialist services please
Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In particular I would like to know if there is a compulsion for Primary medical referral to specialist services for further assessment if there is sufficient evidence to support the request.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 11 months ago.

There isn't a specific law which says that primary care medical practitioners must refer to specialists. It is a matter of professional standards, and if the issues are beyond the scope of the primary advisor, then good practice is that they must refer to a specialist. But this is not specified in an act of parliament the law is that if standards are not maintained then the Health and Disability Commissioner can investigate, which I suspect you know about. So the HDC can rule if the primary caregiver should have referred this on, as a matter of good practice

You can continue to ask questions here until you have what you need. You don't have to ask a new question which I see you have done.