Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

If the father to my child has threatened me before can I cut

Customer Question

If the father to my child has threatened me before can I cut communication? What are the circumstances to file full custody?
Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 11 months ago.

Any parenting decisions have to go through FDR family mediation and at least try mediation, before you can apply to court. In cases where there has been violence then you can ask for an exemption for mediation, but most mediations actually resolve parenting disputes, so it is worth trying.

About this service

Whilst most people reach agreement on parenting arrangements privately, some people need extra help. FDR is a nationwide mediation service that helps people discuss their parenting arrangements. An FDR Provider (mediator) will work with all parties so that a practical agreement can be reached that supports the best interests of the child.

How the process works

Anyone involved in a dispute about the care of children can go to FDR. The focus of FairWay’s FDR service is to help parties build a better understanding of their children’s needs, and a better co-parenting relationship. Our FDR mediators’ emphasis is on building parties’ communication skills, which will help you make your own joint decisions for your children in the future.

The cost

FDR mediation is free of charge if you qualify for government funding. If you do not qualify for full funding, you will still be able to access FDR at a total cost of $897 including GST, by using FairWay FDR mediators. To find out whether you qualify for government funding call on 0800 77 44 20 and talk to one of our Resolution Coordinators.

Where to start

To start the FDR process to resolve a dispute about parenting arrangements or for further information, please call the FDR team on 0800 77 44 20 FREE or email at***@******.***