How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22619
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If the father to my child has threatened me before can I cut

Customer Question

If the father to my child has threatened me before can I cut communication? What are the circumstances to file full custody?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Any parenting decisions have to go through FDR family mediation and at least try mediation, before you can apply to court. In cases where there has been violence then you can ask for an exemption for mediation, but most mediations actually resolve parenting disputes, so it is worth trying.

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

About this service

Whilst most people reach agreement on parenting arrangements privately, some people need extra help. FDR is a nationwide mediation service that helps people discuss their parenting arrangements. An FDR Provider (mediator) will work with all parties so that a practical agreement can be reached that supports the best interests of the child.

How the process works

Anyone involved in a dispute about the care of children can go to FDR. The focus of FairWay’s FDR service is to help parties build a better understanding of their children’s needs, and a better co-parenting relationship. Our FDR mediators’ emphasis is on building parties’ communication skills, which will help you make your own joint decisions for your children in the future.

The cost

FDR mediation is free of charge if you qualify for government funding. If you do not qualify for full funding, you will still be able to access FDR at a total cost of $897 including GST, by using FairWay FDR mediators. To find out whether you qualify for government funding call on 0800 77 44 20 and talk to one of our Resolution Coordinators.

Where to start

To start the FDR process to resolve a dispute about parenting arrangements or for further information, please call the FDR team on 0800 77 44 20 FREE or email at***@******.***

Related New Zealand Law Questions