Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I was being paid an hourly rate by my previous employer. The

Customer Question

I was being paid an hourly rate by my previous employer. The business was then sold and a new contract was signed with the new employer under a new job title with more responsibility but not a wage increase. A few months later I decided to relinquish this new position. Now my new employer wants to decrease my hourly rate because i have relinquished this new position. I feel he should not be able to do this because i did not take a pay increase in the first place and pay was never discussed when the new contracts were signed. Can he legally do this to me under these circumstances.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

the employer cannot reduce your wages without your consent. If you are doing the same job as before but just resigned from the new position, then it would be unfair to reduce your wages. If your employer does so you could claim a personal grievance, and start with an employment mediation and a claim through the Employment Relations Authority