Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Was at a bar was informed that my husband was kissing

Customer Question

Was at a bar was informed that my husband was kissing another lady, I approached them asked my husband what he was doing at the same time reaching into his shirt pocket to retrieve my credit card. I then left them and went over to my friend who had informed me of this, I then spoke to his friend asking "Is this ok with you" repeated 3 times as very noisy. He didn't hear, I then went to exit the pub and the female involved with my husband approached me put her hand I my shoulder, saying I dont know what it was to loud, I pushed her back in the face, to get her out of my way, I then left. She has since made complaint stating he she broken nose and missing tooth. This person as approached me, stopped me from leaving and as a result has sustained injury due to me pushing her out of my way.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 11 months ago.

If you have been charged by the police with assault, you can defend this on the basis that that you were being stopped from leaving and just pushed her out of the way. If you didn't see the alleged injuries you can certainly question these and ask for medical evidence. After all, she could have fallen later that evening, after you left. So you can defend any charges. If the police interview you, you would need to say what happened but deny any injury