Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

We imporyted some stock from overseas suppliers ansd sold to

Customer Question

hi. we imporyted some stock from overseas suppliers ansd sold to our new zealand customer which, after 5 months our customer somehow find it was stolen stock in overseas market, and we were also unaware of that, so what are implicationas for us now
Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 12 months ago.

If you were unaware that this stock was stolen, then you have not committed any crime which I think will be your first concern. But you are welcome to telephone me.

The issue could be whether your customer wants you to take the goods back and get a refund, will but this will depend on the evidence that the goods are stolen. If this is just an allegation, then I would suggest you politely invite them to provide proper proof. If however there is good evidence and you accept that the goods are stolen, then you may need to negotiate to get your money back from the supplier, if that is possible, and return the goods

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks Chris, we are a company based in newzealand and buying stock all over the work and the stock we have imported from overseas is bought from a company too with invoice against the goods and paidby bank. So everything is done in a legal way and even our suppliers based overseas were not aware of that stock they were selling was stolen stock.So now the customer who has bought the stock in New Zealand from us is asking us to write in a company letter head following information. As they may have sold that stock to someone else and maybe facing some issues""Can you pls provide letter for those invoices that there is nothing to do with me.
It was your fault or your supplier fault on your letter head.
I did bought as genuine stock and come to me as stolen stock"What's your thoughts about this and how should I proceed with this further. Any implication for me giving in writing above information as requested by them. Waiting for your reply

If they have bought stock from you which is allegedly stolen, then they are protected, and so are their customers. The problem is that the legal owner of the stock could potentially seek to recover the items. In practical terms, this will depend on what sort of things were sold, and whether the legal owner is trying to recover the courts. Do you have real proof however that the goods were stolen? What are these things?