Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Here and my issue is with noisey neighbours. We are have

Customer Question

Good morning, Mike here and my issue is with noisey neighbours. We are have just bought, rennovated, and now running a motel in Palmerston North. Everything was going well until the neighbours started partying. This is a rental property with aprox 4-5 pers renting. With social media being what it is we are now starting to get negative review ref the noise. We have called out noise control on more than one occassion but an hour or so later they are back into it. We have talked to the neighbours directly, nice enough guys but no change. We have approached their landlord who says he has had a word but still nothing changes. Could you please tell me any options available to me? I am thinking about the police but is it really a police matter at this stage. Any help appreciated thank you.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

It is the local noise control officers at your council who are the ones with the power to help, and the police generally defer to them. It is unfortyunate that they have not been effective so far but you will need to keep at them to help you. They can dothings like confiscate stereo equipment and the police can intervene if this becomes unruly. So perhaps going to a more senior level in the council, or contacting the Mayor may be your nest steps if the officers are not helping. With regard to the landlord. I would suggest you tell him he must keep his tenants under control, or you will sue him for the civil remedy of nuisance caused by his tenants. If he thinks you are bluffing, then you could start a court case against him, and you have some good evidence from both the noise control complaints and the negative review. which would help with damages. However a lawyers letter may make him take notice before you need to actually sue him.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Chris, great advise and now i have something to follow up. Cheers ***** ***** appreciated. Mike

I hope both the council and the landlord now step up and help.