Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

The trustees of my mother's family trust sent us a

Customer Question

The trustees of my mother's family trust sent us a confirmation of deposit letter last week. Acting on that we made an offer on a home and secured a mortgage. The house sale become unconditional in 6 working days. Now the trustees want to renege on giving us the deposit. Can they legally do that?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 12 months ago.

If there was an unconditional offer to provide this deposit, then you could sue them for specific performance of the contract. I suggest you start by telling them you will do so and then if they persist you may need to actually sue them

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for the prompt reply Chris. Yes the confirmation of deposit was unconditional. So we do have grounds to suse if they renege?

From what you have told me, yes. If they promised to pay that is a binding contract