Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

DNA testing has just revealed that the man my friend

Customer Question

DNA testing has just revealed that the man my friend believed to be her father is not. Instead her father was a wealthy divorced farmer with no children of his own. On his sudden death from a heart attack in 1956, his estate went to his divorced wife. She has since died with no children and we don't know what happened to the estate after that. Is there any scope for my friend and her full brother, also fathered by the same man, recovering any of his property after this length of time?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You would need to prove paternity by a court order, which is not easy after this long. There is no legal process for establishing paternity after someone has dies, and there are time limits for claiming even if they have not died when paternity orders are sought. They would also need to trace the estate, and if it has been distributed then it would be too late to claw back the money and assets.