Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have been issued a statutory demand on Friday is it

Customer Question

I have been issued a statutory demand on Friday is it possible to appeal this, if so how would I be best going about it.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

When you recieve a statutory demand there is a process under the High Court Rules to make an applcation to set this aside. This is done by an application with affidvaits in support, which are filed in the High Court and served on the claimant. The court allocates a date for the first chearing, and they have to respond with a notice of opposition and an affidavit. The court will then allocate a hearing date. You will likely need to have a lawyer to do this, and you have 10 working days to get this filed and served=the time period is important. This will enable you to defend the claim in the demand