Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I was told not to "overthink a situation" by a team leader

Customer Question

I was told not to "overthink a situation" by a team leader when expressing a concern in a staff meeting.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Apologies are a great way to start resolving problems, if you think that you have responded too strongly. Was there a suggestion the matter could go further?

Such as an oral warning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Received a email this morning that indicated that others had told the owner of the business. Now there is a meeting with an agenda to discuss all of this. I have asked for a private meeting.

That may be a disciplinary meeting at the worst but could be a please explain meeting. it would be useful to find out the purpose of the meeting (and you are entitled to know that anyway). If this is a discipliary meeting you must be given the opportunity to take a support person.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems that it is a general staff meeting with an agenda that points at what I said in the staff meeting.

If they criticise you specifically at the meeting, that could be an issue, but it may well be a general discussion about polite discourse, so that may not be a concern

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel that I will not be able to bring up issues without being labelled a trouble maker.

I would suggest then you ask for a private meeting with the owner and explain that you dont want to talk at an open staff meeting