Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My Neighbor has planted Poplar trees x5 on her side of the

Customer Question

My Neighbor has planted Poplar trees x5 on her side of the boundary that completely block the afternoon sun and our views, they are now approx 60ft or more tall. I have been asking her if I can have them trimmed to a height that allows both parties to enjoy privacy and sunlight ..she refuses my offers. what can I do about this ?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You can tell your neighbour that she must either trim the trees or you will apply to court under the Property Law Act to get orders trimming or removing the trees. So she can either see common sense, or be ordered to trim or remove the trees under Section 333 of the Act. The law is on your side on this issue, when the trees cause shading and are dangerous, and she will have to accept this