Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My x and I have split up he paid 10000.00 to pay my mortgage

Customer Question

My x and I have split up he paid 10000.00 to pay my mortgage off. He now wants the $10000.00 back. My house is under a trust. What rights have I got. We have only been together for 7 months and I don't have the money to pay him back. Thanks Belinda
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. My name is***** am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you if you can let me know my above question as my X has gone to a lawyer today

Belinda,

If your ex contributed the $10,000 to the property to pay of the mortgage and you are keeping the property, then your ex is entitled to receive what he originally paid toward the mortgage of the property.

However, if you don't have the money to pay him back all of the money at this time, you can reach an agreement with him where you pay a certain amount monthly (or any time frame you can both agree to). So, let's say you pay $1,000 per month for 10 months. If you can get him to agree to that, you can reach a settlement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot get a bank loan so I am looking at paying him back very little, do you suggested I get a loan from a loan company???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He wants the whole amount paid back ASAP which I cannot afford. I ma getting very worried as I do not want to sell my house. It was not $10,000.00 it was $100,000.00, Thanks

If you can get a loan to pay him off, then that would be a good option. If not, I would try to get him to agree to receive payment little by little in a structured way.

I apologize. The first message said $10,000.

I would try to get a loan for the $100,000 and pay him back by doing that.

If you are pleased with my answer, please don't forget to rate it. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot get a loan for that amount of money. I really do not know what to do. He may have to take me to small claims. He is also a meth user so I am very unsure to give him a lot of money to waste it on drugs

I understand. However, if the amount you would owe him is $100,000, a small claims court will not hear this matter.

Please be sure to rate my response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do I do then????

You may need to sell the property to pay him back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That will not be an option
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is a New Zealand law issue. Because of the short time together the usual equal division does not apply. The trust is potentially able to be opened but unlikely after only short periods like this. So to recover the money he must prove that this was not a gift, and if he can show this, he then needs to prove the nature of the transaction. By this I mean he would need to show if this was a loan and the terms of the loan. If he can do this then he could sue for recovery of the loan and ultimately register a charging order on the home, and then force a sale.

I expect his lawyer will advise him to treat this transaction as a loan and sue. You can defend this and say it is a gift and there would need to be evidence heard and a ruler g. But in my view he may be able to get something and you will need to either try to raise a loan or be forced to sell.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks will I need to pay the whole lot back???

If this was a gift to the family trust, which it may have been, then all he is left with to claim under the Property Relationships Act is contribution to the home. If he didn't pay rent or board you would get a discount for this, although over 7 months this may not be too much. But it is possible that he may get nothing because a gift to the family trust may not be relationship property. It is however an arguable point, which means you may be able to get a discount, as the issue is not certain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that is great, Shall I wait to hear from his lawyer then get a lawyer myself, I there was no paperwork to say that I had to pay him back. He put it straight into my account

Wait and see, if he is serious he will start something, then you can brief your own lawyer.