Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I live in australia & left NZ in 1998. Recently i applied to

Customer Question

Hi i live in australia & left NZ in 1998. Recently i applied to visit a nephew in prison & was denied as i have an outstanding warrant for arrest back in 1997. The only reason i can think of for this warrant is for an unpaid fine either for drink driving or speeding. I am due to land in NZ on the 20/11/15 & am unsure how, or if i can, get this warrent cancelled. I also want some advise on how i can get the prison aurthories to overturn their decision in granting me access within the short amount of time i have left. I depart NZ for australia on 23/11/15. I would appreciate any information you could extend that could help my circumstance. Thanks & Regards.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You need to contact the Police in New Zealand and ask them what this warrant is for. Then you will need to contact a lawyer and arrange to get the warrant suspended, as otherwise you may be arrested at the airport and taken into custody until the warrant can be resolved. The contact for the police is

Police National Headquarters

***** Wellington, PO Box 3017

Ph:(04)(###) ###-####/a>
Fax:
(04)(###) ###-####/a>

It is possible that the police will agree to withdraw the warrant, but you need to ask them. If it is for an outstanding fine, then you may need to make arrangements with the District Court to pay this. If the fine is paid the warrant will be withdrawn