Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I wish to dispute an invoice that I have received services -

Customer Question

I wish to dispute an invoice that I have received for legal services - associated with conveyancing. I engaged a new solicitor, on the basis of a written fee estimate of around $1,400. This solicitor is now seeking to charge me $3,070 for conveyancing relating to the purchase of a single property. I have acknowledged that I asked for a couple of additional things to be attended to, and agreed to pay for up to 2 additional hours for this work, (at $280 per hour). The solicitor did not take any steps to advise me of any additional work that would necessitate an increase above the estimate previously provided until after all of the work was completed. I think that this is entirely unsatisfactory and want to know how I can effectively contest his invoice - and not incur the 1.5% interest per month that will start after 7 days.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You can ask the Law Society to look at the account, and they will appoint a Costs Revisor to examine the account and the terms. They will do this without charge and fairly quickly. So you can contact them at http://www.lawsociety.org.nz/for-the-community/lawyers-complaints-service and you can start by a telphone call and then move to a formal complaint. This will enable you to challenge the bill and the basis on which they have increased the quote, and is a free service for you.