Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My question is based around a telecommunications company who

Customer Question

My question is based around a telecommunications company who has made promises and not delivered. I work from home and because of them not being able to connect my phone line and internet in the promised timeline, or they have connected it and it hasn't been what i've specifically asked for i have lost earnings of around $3000.
can i take them to small claims court?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You can make a claim to the Disputes Tribunal although you also have an alternative of going to the TDR which is the Telecommunications Dispute Resolution service and you can find them here http://www.tdr.org.nz/. You will need to check to see if your telecommunications company is a member of the scheme, but if they are then you can use this service. Your claim is about contract, and whether the company has performed the terms of the contract and their promises. The Consumer Guarantees Act does not apply to business users, but nonetheless if someone makes promises about a contract, and does not perform, then you can claim for any damages which are caused by the breaches of contract.