Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My friend in New Zealand had a run in with Work and Income

Customer Question

My friend in New Zealand had a run in with Work and Income who after questioning her decided that he had committed Benefit Fraud and said they would issue a warrant for her
arrest. This was for some 50,000 nzd plus. Although it was patently untrue he returned to
his home country. He would like to come and visit but is uncertain if he will face a
warrant or be arrested upon entery into NZ. How can you find out if this is indeed the case or just intimidation by the investigator?
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

He would need to find out if they have actually laid charges of fraud in court. He would need to make this enquiry himself, as you cannot. But he should contact them and say he wants to discuss this and ask how far this was taken after he left. If there is a charge then there may be a warrant, but otherwise he would be free to visit.